the Lamp of Learning has been Delta Chi's symbol for education.
It stands for the enlightened concern that has characterized thousands
of members throughout the years. The Founding Fathers of our Fraternity
made this point when they included the statement, "..and
assist in the acquisition of a sound education,..", in the
Preamble to our Constitution.
Early in our
history the emblem of the Fraternity included the Hand of Humanity
reaching for the Key of Knowledge. With this emphasis before them,
later leaders in the Fraternity took the opportunity, just offered
by the United States government, to create and establish an organization
to assist in the realization of the goal of acquiring a sound
education. The Lamp of Learning is now in the center of the Seal
of the Foundation.
26, 1954, The Delta Chi Educational Foundation was incorporated
in the State of Iowa, not for pecuniary profit, under the code
just adopted by the state. It was organized and its operations
shall be conducted exclusively to accomplish the following objects
and purposes: To aid, encourage, promote, and contribute to the
education of needy and deserving persons enrolled as students
in any school, college, or university in the United States of
America or in the Dominion of Canada-, To provide educational
advantages and educational opportunities for such students; To
aid and assist such students financially or otherwise in the improvement
of their physical, mental, and moral education; To further sound
learning by the establishment or financing of endowments, fellowships,
scholarship incentives, and awards; And generally to carry on,
either alone or in cooperation with or through others, any and
all activities in furtherance of one or more of such objects and
purposes; Without limiting the generality of the objects and purposes
herein above expressed, the corporation in furtherance thereof,
but not otherwise, may supplement or implement the work of any
college or university or any integal unit thereof in the promotion
of scholarship, character or morality of their students and may
assist any student who is needy or deserving to complete his educational
work and may make or promote donations or loans to any college
or university or to any integral units thereof affording or providing
educational advantages and educational opportunities.
statement is included in but one of the fourteen pages of the
incorporation document and is only one-half of one of the eleven
articles. It is obvious this was a serious effort that had been
given much consideration. The signers of the Articles of Incorporation
were: Donald G. Isett, Kansas '28, C. Woody Thompson, Illinois
'22 and John H. Hogeland '11, Iowa '48. It was necessary that
the incorporators be of legal age and residents of the State of
Iowa. Don Isett had served from 1951 to 1953 as the Executive
Secretary of Delta Chi. Following his graduation in 1928 he served
as a Field Secretary for the Fraternity for several years. He
had many years of active involvement as an alumnus volunteer officer
of the Kansas Chapter House Corporation. He served the Foundation
as its Secretary-Treasurer from 1954 to 1956 when he was elected
the President to serve until he died in 1971. He lived in Cedar
Rapids, Iowa for many years. C.Woody Thompson received his PhD
in economics in 1925 and joined the faculty of the University
of Iowa that year to teach there for the next thirty-seven years.
He served as "BB" of the Iowa chapter in 1936 and was
on their Board of Trustees for many years. His contributions to
the Fraternity were many and varied, but perhaps the field of
his greatest interest was scholarship. In 1938, the Executive
Board of the Fraternity appointed him Director of Scholarship,
which later was broadened to become the Director of Educational
Activities. He was recognized in 1955, for his seventeen years
of leadership in this field, by the Executive Board on behalf
of the entire Fraternity with an engraved certificate of appreciation
at a testimonial dinner. Thus we had a father-son combination
for scholarship with Dean Thompson the 1956 to 1963, Educational
Advisor for the Foundation and Woody the Director of Educational
Activities for the Fraternity. After retiring from the Fraternity
job he was elected Treasurer of the Foundation from 1956 until
1962 when he died. He lived in Iowa City.
John H. Hogeland
'11 became the necessary third incorporator when O.K. Patton refused.
He lived in Iowa, was over 21, a friend of Curtis Klaus' and was
willing to help. He was a Director from 1971 to 1976. The first
officers and directors listed in the Articles of Incorporation
were: Charles M. Thompson, Illinois '09, President; John B. Harshman,
Ohio State '07, Vice President; Roger F. Steffan, Ohio State '13,
Secretary; L. Harold Anderson, Minnesota-Stanford ‘23, Treasurer,
and Donald G. Isett, Director. Charles M. Thompson was the logical
person to be the first President of the Foundation as he had just
finished serving the Fraternity as its President from 1935 until
1952. Born in 1878, and initiated a Delta Chi in 1909, the year
he graduated from the University of Illinois, he became their
"BB". He earned his PhD in 1913 and became the Dean
of the College of Commerce at Illinois in 1919, a position he
held until he retired in 1942. Dean Thompson was actively involved
in the Fraternity at every level from his initiation until his
death in 1963. John B. "Jack" Harshman was a lawyer
who had served the Fraternity as the "DD" from 1913
until 1929 and as the "AA!' from 1929 until 1935. He then
served as the Legal Advisor for many years. He served the Foundation
as its Vice President from 1954 until 1958. He died of a stroke
August 30, 1967, at Dayton, Ohio. Roger F. Steffan was serving
as Director of Operations for President Eisenhower, with his office
in The White House in 1954. He was listed in the Articles of Incorporation
as the original Secretary and as a Director in 1954 but died of
a heart attack in December, 1955.
born in 1893, served his chapter as ",A', "C",
"E" and as a delegate to the 1911 convention when his
interest in the fraternity's membership requirements and governmental
organization started. He was a leader in the movement to make
Delta Chi a general membership fraternity which was realized in
1923. His only elective office as an alumnus was as "EE"
from 1923 to 1925 but his value was great on the support side
of the Fraternity. It can be said that he was the "Founder
of the Quarterly" as it is known today. He was the originator
of the "E" Key Award given to outstanding "E"s
each year. This was the first, and for many years, the only individual
undergraduate recognition made by the general Fraternity. Following
graduation he began a career in journalism, served as an army
officer during World War I, switched to banking as an "Educational
Director", became an "Account Executive" with a
large Cleveland advertising agency in 1925 and the next year returned
to banking, finally becoming a Vice President of the National
City Bank of New York. He retired in 1953 to take the White House
appointment. For many years he was listed among the ten most outstanding
graduates by Ohio State University. L.Harold "Pete"
Anderson was an engineer who, shortly after graduating from Stanford,
wrote the first building code of the City of Palo Alto, California.
In 1933 he was named Director of Utilities for the city, launching
what was to become a distinguished career in all three phases
of public utilities: municipal, private, and regulatory. When
elected Treasurer he had just finished his first series of terms
as "DD" from 1940 to 1954. He was later to serve the
Fraternity as "DD" from 1960 to 1962, and as "AA"
from 1962 to 1964. He was dropped as a Director in 1960 because
of the desire for separation of the Directors of the Foundation
from the Officers of the Fraternity. He died in 1974 at the age
The two brother
Delta Chis who deserve a great deal of credit for helping make
the Foundation a reality are Warren W. Etcheson, Indiana '42,
who was the Executive Secretary of the Fraternity from 1953 to
1956 and Curtis W. Klaus, Penn. State '52, who served as the Administrative
Secretary of the Fraternity during the time of incorporation of
the Foundation. In 1954, Marsh W. White, Penn State '20, was finishing
his two year term as "AA". In February, Warren Etcheson
wrote him about the need to obtain approval of the Fraternity
Convention for the establishment of a foundation. Warren was concerned
about who would write the Articles of Incorporation and the By-Laws
of the Foundation. He suggested C. E. "Ed" Eckerrnan,
Iowa '48, an attorney in Iowa City, as a possible drafter. In
requesting copies of articles of incorporation from other fraternities
he discovered that John S. Sickles, the Legal Advisor of Phi Gamma
Delta Fraternity, had written foundation articles and by-laws
for the Cornell Chapter of Delta Chi that were called the Sir
Edward Coke Foundation. Mr. Sickles thought the Coke Foundation
better set up than the Phi Gamma Delta Foundation and had a number
of valuable suggestions as to what should be considered for a
foundation of national scope.
In a March answer to Etcheson's letter, Marsh White suggested
that 0. K. Patton, Iowa '12, a professor at the University of
Iowa School of Law, might be recruited to draft the articles.
He agreed with Warren that Jack Harshman, as Legal Advisor to
the Fraternity, should check over the finished work before it
was offered to the Executive Board of the Fraternity, but not
be involved in the writing. It was decided it was not necessary
to have the Convention approve the establishment of a separate
foundation and it was suggested that the Foundation be incorporated
and presented to the convention as fact.
Ed Eckerman suggested to Warren that he prepare two memoranda.
The first containing the requirements for a non-profit corporation
in Iowa and the second the requirements for most advantageous
treatment by the Internal Revenue Service. He also wanted to list
the required provisions for the corporation and decide the content
of those with choice options. He would then undertake to write
the articles and bylaws using standard forms and a sample from
the Hoemer Foundation of Keokuk, Iowa. In the General Letter to
the Executive Board # 1, dated July 1, 1954, Executive Secretary
Etcheson announced the interest in incorporation of an educational
foundation for the Fraternity and included Ed Eckerrnan's memoranda
and sample articles as well as copies from other fraternity foundations
and the Sir Edward Coke Foundation.
was the fact that some of the foundations had received tax deductibility
for their donors from the IRS. He encouraged the Board to announce
the establishment of the Foundation at the Biloxi Convention.
He suggested Don Isett (a board member), Woody Thompson and himself
as incorporators and H. Walter Steffens, Idaho '29, Dean C. M.
Thompson, 0. K. Patton, Russell C. Mc Fall, NYU ‘22, Jack
Harshman, Alex Black, Kentucky '29 and George Obear, DePauw '30
as directors. In his letter to Brother Etcheson dated July 10,
1954, President White formally moved the Executive Board approve
the incorporation of a Delta Chi Educational Foundation, direct
that Warren Etcheson, Woody Thompson and Don Isett be the incorporators
and that the initial Board of Directors of the Foundation be nominated
and elected by the Executive Board. He also enclosed a "modest
check made payable to the Foundation as the initial contribution
to enable opening a bank account".
On July 9,
Henry V. McGurren, Chicago-Kent '10, Past "AA" and a member of the Executive Board, registered his support of
the Foundation but criticized the fifty year life limit on corporations
in Iowa and suggested that Illinois corporations had no limit
on their life. He moved to make O.K. Patton an incorporator and
a director. He also volunteered to recruit at least nine other
members to contribute $1,000 each, which along with his donation
would make up $10,000 as a start for the Foundation. On July 13,
Brother Etcheson acknowledged Henry's motion and agreed that O.K.
Patton, with his interest in scholarship, should receive recognition
someplace in the Foundation and "I would guess that he would
be one of the first choices as Director." The General Letter
to the Executive Board #5, dated July 13, 1954, had already gone
out. It carried Marsh White's motion on starting the Foundation.
On July 13, Charles Max "Mack" Cole, M.D., SMU '37,
a member of the Board of Directors, wrote to Warren "'Tinker"
Etcheson of his support and that he was, "in full agreement
with your conclusions and arrangements outlined in your letter
of June 21 with reference to the Executive Offices". "We
shall miss your good work, I am glad to hear of the new teaching
position, however, and certainly hope it works out to be just
what you are looking for. I have looked over the educational foundation
material with much interest. It is something we should have done
years ago. I would be glad for you to submit the motion to proceed
in my name if you wish."
This was the
first notice that Warren Etcheson would be leaving Iowa City to
accept a position at the University of Washington in Seattle and
that a change in the Executive Secretary position would soon be
forthcoming. On July 14, Brother McGurren wrote Executive Secretary
Etcheson wanting O.K. Patton as an incorporator in place of Don
Isett because "there should be no interlocking director or
any member of the Executive Board as an Incorporator of the Foundation".
He moved to amend the "AA"s motion to read, "that
the Board of Directors shall consist of five members, none of
whom shall be a member of the Executive Board of The Delta Chi
Fraternity". He also moved that Brother Herbert J. Ries,
Iowa '16, or some other well-known Delta Chi attorney be retained
to assist in the incorporation. He suggested that the benefits
from the Foundation not be limited to the United States but extended
to the Dominion of Canada due to the existence of the Delta Chi
chapter at Osgoode Hall.
On July 15,
the General Letter to the Executive Board #6-a went out from the
Executive Secretary carrying both the motions made by Brother
McGurren as well as an explanation for the omission of Canada.
"Due to an IRS ruling that corporate contributions are not
deductible if such contributions to the Foundation are used outside
the United States or its possessions and a desire to obtain as
broad a base of support for the Foundation as possible, Osgoode
Hall was left out." Canada was later included. On July 16,
L. Harold Anderson, "DD", wrote the Executive Secretary
expressing his desire to include Canada and wanting to know if
the Directors of the Foundation were to be limited to citizens
of Iowa as the Incorporators were. He wanted to have the legal
opinions on the Articles of Incorporation and the By-Laws of both
O.K. Patton and the Fraternity Legal Advisor John B. Harshman
before the Executive Board gave its final approval. He also named
six brothers as possible Directors. In a letter dated July 19,
Warren Etcheson answered that Directors didn't have to be citizens
of Iowa and assured him that Canada was to be included and that
he would submit a motion to the Executive Board in Harold's name
that the voting period on the incorporation motion be suspended
until the additional legal views of O.K. Patton and Jack Harshman
could be obtained.
an unwelcome delay that put the date of incorporation past the
time of the convention. On July 30, Warren Etcheson wrote formal
letters to brothers Patton and Harshman requesting each to submit
an opinion on the proposal for incorporation and expressed his
anxiety to announce the creation of the Foundation at the Biloxi
Convention in September. There is no record of either opinions
being received. That same day Brother White wrote to Brother Bernhard
C. Shaffer, Penn State '25, thanking him for inquiring about making
a bequest to the Fraternity and requesting an appointment to talk
over with him plans whereby he might become the first substantial
donor to the Foundation. His bequest amounted to more than $100,000.
The General Letter to the Executive Board #10 dated Sept. 8, 1954,
after the convention, presented Motion #61 as amended which provided
that the Executive Board approve the proposed plan for Incorporation
of the Foundation making the incorporators Warren E. Etcheson,
C. Woody Thompson and O.K. Patton and making the deadline for
nominations for Directors from the Board, October 1st.
4, Warren Etcheson, as the Executive Secretary living and teaching
in Washington State, wrote to Curtis W. Klaus, Penn State '52,
now the new Administrative Secretary of the Fraternity, living
in Iowa City, advising him that Brother Herbert Ries had refused
to help with the incorporation. He noted that Jack Harshman was
ineligible as he was not a citizen of Iowa and that Ed Eckerman
was no longer in the state as well. He suggested that Brother
Peter W. Janss, Iowa ‘??, an attorney living in Des Moines,
might be willing to help. He also noted that as he was no longer
living in Iowa, he could not be an incorporator. "As the
Administrative Secretary can appoint any Delta Chi living in Iowa"
he suggested Don Isett be asked. 'To me the important thing is
not who does it, but what is being done. Who did it will be forgotten
immediately, it's the Foundation that lives on, not the incorporators."
12, Curtis Klaus wrote "Pete" Janss asking him to assist
in filing the Articles of Incorporation. The incorporators were
to be O.K. Patton, C. Woody Thompson, and Don Isett. He sent along
all of the pertinent correspondence and copies of the Articles
and By-Laws and the information that the Executive Board was then
selecting Directors. He stated, "I cannot emphasize too strongly
the importance to the Fraternity which the Foundation will have.
There can be little doubt that the incorporation of the Foundation
will be one of the biggest and most progressive steps the Fraternity
has taken in several years."
In the General
Letter to the Executive Board #26, dated Nov. 4, 1954, Curtis
Klaus announced the election of the first Board of Directors of
the Educational Foundation. They were L. Harold Anderson, John
B. Harshman, Donald G. Isett, Roger Steffan and C. M. Thompson.
On November 5, in a letter to Jefferson J. Coleman, Alabama '29,
now the "AA:', Curtis wrote that O.K. Patton had declined
the Board's offer to be an incorporator and asked him to appoint
Dean Thompson as the Temporary Chairman of the Board of Directors
for the first meeting. On November 8, Curtis wrote to Warren Etcheson
that "Pete" Janss wanted "Dean Thompson or someone
like him" to preview our Articles and By-Laws with the IRS
to get an informal opinion. He also informed him that "Pete"
wanted to make changes in the proposed Articles and By-Laws and
would like to side-step getting approval from the Executive Board
to go directly to the Foundation Board of Directors. Curtis suggested
they might ship them too as "the thing has been dragging
on for so long that it's tiring. Besides that, the first Board
of Directors will be out of office before they get anything done."
On November 10, Warren Etcheson allowed Curtis to by-pass the
Executive Board in so far that the Foundation had a Board of Directors.
But he must send a copy of the proposed changes to them as a "matter
of information". On November 26, 1954, the Foundation was
finally incorporated. The first letter in the files of correspondence
of the Foundation is dated December 14, 1954, from Dean Thompson
to Curtis Klaus. In it, the Dean states that he had arrived in
Washington, D.C. that morning and immediately called up the Revenue
Department concerning the question of tax exemption for the new
Educational Foundation. He further says, "I would hazard
a guess that in due time we shall get approved." As with
many requests of the government "due time" can become
significant. In a March 31, 1955 letter from Mr. P. Henry Needham,
Chief, Pensions and Exempt Organizations Branch of the I.R.S.
to Dean Thompson, it is explained, "...the corporation should
submit its application for exemption after it has actively operated
under its articles of incorporation for a period of twelve months
in order that its status may be determined for Federal income
For a new
organization with no capitol this created a bit of a problem.
It was overcome with the help of the Fraternity which advanced
a generous gift of $2,000 to the Foundation for "start up
costs" on April 14, 1955. With this money the Foundation
operated for a year and duly applied for exemption. On March 14,
1958, J. F. Worley, Chief, Exempt Organizations Branch stated
in his letter, "It is the opinion of this office, based upon
the evidence presented, that you are exempt from Federal income
tax as an organization described in section 501 (c) (3) of the
internal Revenue Code of 1954,..." This action gave the right
to advertise for gifts and donations and offer tax deductibility
to the donor. However, it also gave the responsibility to use
the donation within the rules set down by the I.R.S. The Directors
of the Foundation eagerly awaited the money to roll in. They had
a perfect organization with wonderful goals and, better yet, now
it was deductable. The Treasurer's report for 1956 showed the
$2,000 loan from the Fraternity and four identified $100 donations.
They came from Edward Southwick, Miami ‘48, Jozach Miller
III, Georgetown ‘04, Marsh White, Penn State ‘20 and
Jack Harshman. Expenses for the year were $229.62. The first scholarships
given by the Foundation were to go to Seniors entering graduate
school in 1956-1957. The applicants were to be from our newest
chapters and judged on their grades, personality, and promise
of success. $ 100 awards were made to the Western Michigan and
Connecticut Chapters leaving a fund balance of $1,705.26.
At the annual
meeting in 1956, Don Isett was elected President and Woody Thompson
replaced him as Secretary/Treasurer. They each held their office
until they died. Dean Charles M. Thompson became the Educational
Advisor. The Directors agreed to try to raise money for the Foundation
by "long term personal contact solicitation" with the
emphasis being on wills and bequests. They agreed upon separation
of the leadership of the Foundation and the Fraternity as advised
by Henry McGurren. This principle has been observed ever since.
They also agreed to keep the Foundation meetings separate from
Fraternity meetings and conventions by holding them at different
times and places. Most of the first meetings were held at Cedar
Rapids, Iowa. However, in 1962 it was decided, if a quorum was
present at the next convention, to hold a special meeting. In
1963 they started holding the meetings at the Delta Chi Fraternity
Headquarters or at Don Isett's office in Cedar Rapids. Since 1968
Foundation Annual Meetings have been held during conventions as
a separate and exclusive function. In non-convention years the
annual meeting is held at a time and place chosen by the Directors.
for 1957 was $25.00. The administrative expense was $9.60. A new
Freshman Award Program of $50 each was established. The recipient
must have been a pledge for at least a quarter or semester and
have made at least a "B" average during that time. His
pledge class must have at least a "C" average for that
quarter or semester. Awards were made to the new Southern Illinois,
Kansas City, and University of Houston chapters. An additional
$50 Top Freshman Scholar Award was established for the Wayne State
Chapter. A graduate grant of $100 was made to the Lehigh Chapter.
The capital of the Foundation was listed at $1,625.66.
In 1958, the scholarship program was implemented by a $100 gift
from Victor T. Johnson, Purdue ‘32, to fund $50 scholarship
awards to Arnold E. Schaewe, '61 and Pieter J. Van Hook, ‘62
of the Purdue Chapter. Dean Thompson donated $65 to buy a scholarship
trophy for the Alabama Chapter, which had won a chapter scholarship
contest with the Auburn Chapter. A Freshman Award was made to
Robert L. Hohnes, 61 of the Wayne State Chapter. Total income
for the year was $220, the expenses were $211, the fund balance
was $1,528.38. Something had to change.
At the 32nd
Convention of the Fraternity held in August 1958, at Lake Texhoma,
a big change was made. The undergraduate members of the Fraternity,
realizing the value of the Foundation and recognizing the problems
it was having, voted a one time $1.00 assessment on each active
member for the 1959-60 school year, to be donated to the Foundation.
This contribution totaled $2,610 in 1960. This assessment idea
was used again in 1962 to create the Fraternity's Housing Fund.
In 1959, $100 graduate scholarships were offered to the Southern
Illinois and the Rollins Chapters. $50 scholarships were granted
to the Southern Illinois, Wayne State, Ball State, Connecticut
and Idaho Chapters. The Treasurer was notified not to send any
checks until the President of the Foundation had received a picture
and a story about the presentation of the award. In 1960 the Foundation
received its first major gift, 20 shares of oil stock, valued
at $19,020 and
ear-marked for the University of Texas Chapter.
and other donations the fund balance rose to $21,720. However,
after repaying the Fraternity the $2,000 "start up costs"
gift and purchasing a second mortgage on the Texas Chapter house
the fund had a closing balance of $1,640. In a January 1960 letter
acknowledging the $2,000 repayment, Joseph F. Lacchia, N.Y.U.
'25, "AA!', wrote, "I know that I speak for each and
every member of the Executive Board of The Delta Chi Fraternity
when I say that you have our sincere wishes for a prosperous and
successful future - Godspeed - Delta Chi Educational Foundation."
We were attempting
big business and getting nowhere. The year 1961 brought change
to the leadership of the Foundation. Three new directors were
elected. They were; C. Max Cole, SMU '37, Warren W. Etcheson,
Indiana '42, and Russell C. McFall, NYU ‘22. Three Freshman
$50 Awards plus two Victor Johnson $50 awards to Purdue Freshmen
and four $100 graduate awards were given.
In 1962 a
new feature of the Foundation was introduced when Russell L. Stephens,
Kansas ‘24 and J. J. Underwood, Kansas ‘5 1, each
made $ 100 donations to support the start of the Kansas State
University Colony. Two graduate scholarships in the amount of
$125 each were made to David L. Marshall, Auburn '60 and to Thomas
C. Morrison, Iowa '61. Freshman $50 awards were made to Albert
J. Barnes, Michigan State, for a GPA of 3.6 1; Richard L. Carlson,
Miami, for a GPA of 3.83; and to James E. McMillin, Penn State,
with a GPA of 3.59. In May, the first meeting of the Committee
on Educational Activities was held with C. Woody Thompson, Ralph
E. Prusock, Union '52, members and with Harold E. Buchanan, Wisconsin
'35, and John R. Crowell, Southern Illinois '60, in attendance.
incorporator/director Woody Thompson died and the first named
memorial fund, the C. Woody Thompson Memorial Fund, was started.
It was merged the next year with his father's, the Charles M.
Thompson Scholarship Fund & Chapter Library. At the 1963 meeting,
Dr. Charles M. Mason, Director of Student Aid at Iowa University
said, "Small merit awards are no longer an object of competition.
Those students who have finances are not interested and there
is not enough money involved to help those in need. Recognition
Awards are the "in thing." The Directors voted to continue
the $100 Graduate Awards but to replace the $50 Freshman Awards
with a fine wrist watch called the Bulova Accutron, manufactured
by the Bulova Watch Company, bearing the Fraternity Crest on the
face and costing $120 each. The rules to apply remained the same.
In 1965 watches were presented to; Marcus B. Starbuck Miami '66;
John W. Larson, Iowa '66; A. Alexander Kennel, DePauw, '66; Paul
J. Prutzman, Lehigh '66; Carl E. Dorris, Oklahoma State '66; and
Paul Okano, Oregon State '66.
The cost of
the watch awards varied each year depending on the number of qualified
applicants. The Foundation spent as little as $112 for one watch
in 1966 to as much as $2,031 in 1970. These awards were made until
1972 when the entire awards program was changed. In 1965 the Foundation
joined with the Fraternity to hire the Stewart Howe Alumni Service
Company to do a fund raising feasibility study and Rowland R.
Manatt, Iowa State '21, was elected a Director. At the 1968 Fraternity
Convention in August, President Isett in his report said, "At
our present rate of growth it will take the foundation 100 years
to get to the $400,000 goal." He proposed an alumni club
made up of annual donors of $100 or more. By the 1968 meeting
of the Foundation the Century Club had 34 charter members.
highest number of members was 60 in 1974 and it was absorbed into
another alumni donor recognition program in 1978. Another type
of fund was started by the University of Illinois alumni when
they purchased bonds issued by their chapter corporation called
the Upsilon Alumni Corporation of Illinois and then donated them
to the Foundation's Charles M. Thompson Scholarship Library Fund.
The bond donations amounted to $7,500 in 1966. The first bequest
to the Foundation was received in 1966. Brother Albin C. Ahlberg,
Chicago-Kent ‘20, a Chicago patent attorney, left $5,000
to the Foundation. Could he have been influenced by Director Reynolds
Pomeroy, Chicago-Kent '20? If so, this is the only case on record
except the estates of Past President Victor Johnson and Past Vice
President LaVon Linn. In 1968 the idea for a Panel of Educational
Consultants was discussed and by 1970 it was appointed and running.
The panel consisted of Dr. Marsh W. White, Penn State '20, Osmond
Emeritus of Delta Chi and Educational Advisor to the foundation
was the chairman and the panel consisted of Dr. Earl J. McGrath,
Georgia ‘28, Director, Higher Education Center, Temple University;
Dr. Russell B. Nye, Wisconsin '35, Distinguished Professor, Michigan
State University; Dr. George E. Osborn, Purdue '39, College of
Pharmacy, University of Rhode Island; Philip A. Scheurer, Southern
Illinois University (Faculty) '66, Executive Director-Activities,
University of Tennessee; Dr. Stephen H. Spurr, Florida '38, Dean,
School of Graduate Studies and Vice President, University of Michigan;
Dr. H. Walter Steffens, Idaho '29, formerly Academic Vice President,
University of Idaho and past "CC" of Delta Chi.
along with a like group on the Fraternity side took one year to
survey the educational aspects of the Fraternity and suggest an
awards program that would encourage undergraduate scholarship.
died on July 4, 1971, all of the incorporators and original members
of the Foundation had passed on. Now was the time to move on or
fold up. A reorganization meeting was held on December 18 at Delta
Chi Headquarters with Boyd Boehlje, Iowa State '61, "DD"
presiding. Directors Russell McFall and Max Cole resigned from
the board. Rowland Manatt was reelected a Director until 1973.
Victor Johnson was reelected a Director until 1972 and elected
President. This was due recognition of a long time contributing
member of the Foundation. Victor had been active in his Purdue
Chapter since he was pledged in 1929. He had created the first
individual scholarship recognition fund by a member of the Foundation
to be used by his chapter on an annual basis in 1958. Although
not a Director until 1965, he had attended most of the Foundations
meetings and exhibited great interest in and expectations for
the Foundation. In 1975 the Fraternity honored Victor by making
him the first member of the Order of the White Carnation, an award
especially created with him in mind.
Kauders, Cornell '69, was elected a Director until 1975 and elected
Vice President. Mark W. Putney, Iowa '51, was elected a Director
until 1976 and also elected Secretary. John H. Hogeland, '11,
Iowa '48, was elected a Director until 1974 and elected Treasurer.
Marsh White was reappointed the Educational Advisor, Kenneth Brasted,
Florida '35, was appointed Managing Director and Boyd Boehlje
was appointed the first Legal Advisor of the Foundation. At this
time the Foundation had assets of $40,771 and forty Century Club
members. The total donation required to allow a contributing member
to vote at the annual meeting was lowered from $500 to $200. This
gave voting rights to 61 of the 112 donors. At this meeting the
membership resolved that: When the proceeds of a dissolution of
a Chapter/Colony or it's Alumni Board of Trustees or it's Building
Corporation, which may at any time be turned over to the Foundation,
the corpus shall be held intact as a special fund for a period
of ten years, with the interest thereon being placed in the General
Fund of the Foundation for the stated purposes of the Foundation
and if said Chapter/Colony has not been reactivated within said
ten year period, the corpus of the fund shall then revert to the
General Fund of the Foundation for the stated general purposes
At the meeting
in 1972, a new scholarship recognition awards program was adopted.
As there were eight regions in the Fraternity, the Foundation
would give an individualized plaque to the highest GPA pledge;
an Accutron watch to the highest GPA sophomore; a $150 cash award
to the highest GPA junior; and a $200 cash award to the highest
GPA senior, nationally. Plus, there were to be duplicate awards
to the top man in each region or the runner-up if the top man
won first in the nation.
were to be Foundation Certificates for Honorable Mention to the
runners-up. Thus there would be thirty-six awards and thirty-six
certificates. There was no provision made for ties, etc. and with
all the trouble and confusion the program was changed again in
1973. This time the Freshman plaques, the Sophomore Accutron watches
and the Chapter Scholar plaques were discontinued and four Top
Scholar awards of $125 each were offered to each of the eight
regions of the Fraternity. The winners were to be decided by each
Regent for his region. In the end there were 21 awards made from
didn't like being put on the spot and it was thought more undergraduates
were disappointed than rewarded. This year Director Rowland Manat's
term ended and he retired from the board and was replaced by George
W. Obear, DePauw '30. There were forty-five Century Club members
and each Director was urged to write his chapter peers requesting
generous year-end contributions to the Foundation. In 1974, the
first annual management fee of 2% was charged against the balance
of each named fund with the proceeds going into the General Fund
of the Foundation.
At this time
there were eight funds named. They were the Texas, the Johnson/Purdue,
the Kansas State, the Kauders/Cornell, the McNorton/Alabama, the
Siegelman/ Whitewater, the Thompson/Illinois and the White/Penn
State. The awards program was changed yet again. The plan for
cash awards to the top scholars of each region was dropped. The
new program gave a plaque to the top GPA Sophomore, Junior, and
Senior in each chapter plus a plaque to the top scholar in each
region and in the Fraternity. Plaques were also given to the chapter
with the top GPA in each region and in the Fraternity. A plaque
was awarded to alumni recognizing contributions totaling $500
for the Delta Award and $1000 for the Chi Award. This was the
beginning of the program to encourage alumni giving and to recognize
different levels of alumni contributions.
This year the first major mail solicitation for alumni contributions
to the Foundation was made. Letters were sent to all Foundation
Members, distinguished Delta Chis, past winners of Foundation
Awards and Past National Officers of the Fraternity. A total of
1,537 pieces of mail at a cost of $878.06 were sent resulting
in a return of $635.00. It was clear that there must be a better
way to build up the Foundation. In a general letter to the Board
of Directors, Managing Director Ken Brasted, laid out the financial
operations of the Foundation from 1967 to 1973. The total awards
expense was $16,000. The overhead expense was $30,000 and the
total income was $44,000 leaving a total operating deficit of
$2,000. In March, James C. Steffan, Ohio State ‘22, the
"AA" wrote to Foundation President Johnson, "My
own opinion is that the Educational Foundation is in dire condition
and we need immediate action to improve it. Maybe you and Ken
(Brasted) can show me where I am wrong but we better face facts
now, not in June."
In 1975 there
were 147 members and 52 chapters awarded scholar plaques. Some
refinements were made in the program. Colonies were made eligible
the same as the chapters with the top colony in the fraternity
recognized. A minimum GPA of 2.70 on a 4.00 scale was set for
chapter/colony scholars. A special plaque for each chapter/colony
was added bearing the names of the year’s top sophomore,
Junior and Senior to be kept by the chapter/colony. They tried
to time the applications so the winners names from the previous
year could be printed in the Winter edition of the Quarterly and
the plaques could be prepared to be presented at the spring regional
meetings. There were 302 members of the Foundation of whom 84
had contributed more than $200. The Century Club membership had
dropped in one year from its all time high of 60 in 1974 to a
low of 29. This was probably attributable to the 1974 letter solicitation.
The assets of the Foundation were $48,308.95; almost double what
it had been ten years before but only a $9,000 increase over the
last five years.
lowa '71, became the Managing Director of the Foundation. At the
meeting in Iowa City in September of 1976, John Hogeland resigned
from the board due to poor health and Kenneth M. Snyder, Illinois
'30, was elected to the board to complete his term as Treasurer.
It was decided to accept future Memorial Fund contributions but
unless they meet the requirements to become a named fund they
will be incorporated into the General Operating Fund. They agreed
to investigate various methods whereby the Foundation could increase
its visability within the Fraternity. In 1977, it was decided
that the use of funds from closed chapters, controlled by the
Foundation, be reviewed on an individual basis and no general
rule be made. The Apparent lack of visibility and lack of use
of the awards program by the chapter/colonies indicated a need
for further study.
to reprint the Foundation brochure and distribute it to the Fraternity.
Directors Snyder, Bear and Kauders were appointed to develop the
alumni awards program beyond the Chi Award ($1000) and to choose
suitable gift recognitions. Marsh White announced a $50,000 fund
drive by 1979 in honor of the Penn State Chapter's 50th anniversary
with a portion of the money to be allocated to the White/Penn
State Scholarship Fund. Director Kauders volunteered to prepare
a special Foundation page to be run in the Quarterly.
in spite of their previous experience, to fund a solicitation
letter to be sent to past Foundation Award winners, all Foundation
donors of the past two years and all Fraternity members celebrating
the 25, 35, or 50-year anniversary of their graduation. Finally,
they amended the By-laws of the Foundation to require Directors
to qualify as voting members. The Committee to Extend the Alumni
Donor Recognition Program reported at the 1978 meeting in Iowa
City. It was adopted that the Delta Award ($500 in five years),
and the Chi Award ($ 1000 in ten years) be joined by a Delta Chi
Award ($2,500), a Leges Award ($5,000), a Senior Member of the
Delta Chi Educational Foundation Award ($10,000), a Fellow of
the Delta Chi Educational Foundation Award ($25,000), a Distinguished
Fellow of the Delta Chi Educational Foundation ($50,000) and a
Most Distinguished Fellow of the Delta Chi Educational Foundation
($100,000). They stated that if we needed additional categories
they would be glad to meet again.
The most unexpected
conclusions were that the recognition was to be certificates not
plaques and that there be no gift at all. Foundation efforts at
additional fund raising was to ask the 100 former Century Club
donors to each write ten friends or brothers and encourage them
to contribute at least $25. At the end of the fund drive, three
contributors would be chosen by lot and they would be able to
direct a $500, and two $250 cash scholarships to the chapter of
his choice. Raymond F. Borelli, "DD", won and divided
his award with $200 going to the Illinois Chapter member who had
the most improved G.P.A., with at least a "B" average.
He also gave three $100 awards to Illinois Chapter "D"'s
past and present who had at least a "C+" average and
was outstanding in his office. The first $250 cash scholarship
went to John McCombs, Purdue’32. The second $250 went to
Dean Cross, Penn State'72, who selected Edward Doherty of the
Penn State Chapter as the recipient. The program has not been
The 1979 meeting
was held in August in Iowa City and as had occurred many times
before, the election resulted in Victor Johnson remaining President;
Richard Kauders, Vice President; Mark Putney, Secretary; Ken Snyder,
Treasurer. Marsh White continued as the Educational Advisor and
Boyd Boehlje as the Legal Advisor. The one change was Raymond
D. Galbreth, Missouri '69, being appointed Managing Director.
For the first time the total fund balance of the Foundation exceeded
$100,000. On December 6, 1980, the Foundation again met in Iowa
City, and all of the officers were reelected and the appointments
continued. However, there were a lot of other changes to be made.
Directors Obear and Snyder moved an amendment to the Articles
of Incorporation. It increased the number of Directors on the
board to nine, with staggered terms to result in three-year terms,
allowing three Directors to be elected each year. It combined
the duties of the Secretary and Treasurer into the office of Managing
Director and appointed Raymond Galbreth to that position. It also
included the necessary changes in the By-laws to agree with the
amendment, thus making a majority of the members of the board
passed unanimously. Directors Kauders and Snyder moved to change
the collection of the 2% fund management fee to be charged 0.5%
on January 1, April 1, July I and on October 1. Raymond Galbreth
presented a plan for a Leadership School for undergraduates. Mr.
Ed Dorris of Dorris & Associates of Zionsville, Indiana, presented
a major capitol fund raising campaign program. Robert P. LaBouy,
Washington ‘66, "AA:', presented the Silver Medal Award
of the National Interfraternity Conference to Marsh White. This
second highest merit honor of the NIC is given in recognition
of many years of outstanding service and leadership in the fraternity
movement. Marsh began his involvement with college fraternities
as a married graduate student as did Dean Thompson. He joined
a local fraternity named Delta Pi in 1919 that became the Delta
Chi Penn State Chapter in 1929 thus becoming a "BB".
He not only attended his first convention that year, starting
an unbroken series that extends to this writing, he consistently
made wise and timely contributions to the deliberations. He also
organized the Penn State Chapter of the honor society for physics
students, Sigma Pi Sigma. When he became involved there were two
chapters and now there are about four hundred nationwide. Marsh
is credited with being involved with the organization of about
half of them. Besides this, he received the first PhD awarded
by Penn State University and he taught laboratory physics there
for forty-two years. He was elected "DD" from 1935 to
1940, "CC" from 1940 to 1952, "AA" from 1952
to 1954 and "AA" Emeritus in 1962. He served as the
Educational Advisor to the Foundation from 1964 until 1988. He
was awarded the Order of the White Carnation by the Fraternity
The 1981 meeting
took place at Indianapolis during the convention. Mark Putney
had resigned from the board in objection to hiring a professional
fund raising firm and Jimmie J. Underwood, Kansas ‘51, was
elected to replace him. All of the other positions remained the
same. The Dorris & Associates report that identified $5,000,000
in needs concluded a concerted fund raising campaign conducted
by them could result in $2,500,000 in contributions by 1990 was
accepted by the board and solicitation commenced. A separate Investment
Advisory Committee for the Foundation was suggested. It was formed
and appointed in 1984. Meeting in September 1982, in Chicago,
the board removed Dorris & Associates as our fundraisers due
to dissatisfaction with their methods and hired John F. Caperton,
Jr., SMU '39, as the Managing Director with his main function
as major fund raising. An oversight committee consisting of President
Johnson, Vice President Kauders and Director Snyder was created
to aid him in his efforts.
was appointed to the new post of Secretary / Treasurer. Marsh
White, Marcus Gary Monk, Auburn '65, LaVon P. Linn, Nebraska '38
and Warren G. Harding, SMU '47 were elected Directors and Gary
Monk was elected to joint Vice Presidency with LaVon Linn. Director
Monk had contacted Senator Henry M. Jackson, Washington '34, who
had agreed to contributed $10,000 at a rate of $1,000 a year to
help finance a leadership school for undergraduates. Shortly thereafter,
the senator suffered a massive heart attack and died. Senator
Jackson had just been chosen to become the first "Delta Chi
of the Year" and his passing saddened us all. His dedication
to the role of law in our society and his service to his fellowman
has set an example for us to follow. He had said that, "The
years one spends in college, and the experiences gained, have
a lasting impact throughout life. Enjoy them and take advantage
of the opportunities presented." He also said, "There
were 13 pledges, including myself, in 1930. On the wall in my
office is a picture of my brothers..... The friendships we made
were the most durable of my life and I still keep in touch with
several of my fraternity brothers." His foundation has continued
to support the college named for him.
time, 1983 in Nashville, Tennessee, saw Victor Johnson retire
as President. Jimmie J. Underwood was elected to succeed him and
to serve on an Executive Committee with co-Vice Presidents Monk
and Linn. Director Warren Harding resigned and Gary Monk was appointed
to finish his term. The board agreed that the minimum amount required
to fund a specified (named) program would be $5,000 and that it
must be paid within a ten-year period. With a significant contribution
from LaVon Linn the Senator Henry M. Jackson Memorial Leadership
College was established. The Capitol Campaign, as of June, had
received $356,000 in pledges and $133,700 in donations. At the
meeting in 1984 in Chicago, the board adopted a Memorial Resolution
in memory of Victor Johnson who had died April 1, 1984. They received
Victor Johnson's alumni key fob and dedicated it as the Victor
T. Johnson President's Key to be worn by the President of the
Foundation when on official business.
Borelli, Illinois '58, "AA", presented $5,000 from the
Fraternity to be used for leadership development. They elected
Ralph W. Smith, Jr., SMU ‘32, a Director with a term to
1987. They discussed the idea of merging the annual solicitation
of the Foundation with the annual fund campaign of the Fraternity.
Contact was to be made with Development Dynamics Group, the company
doing the campaign for the Fraternity. Later in the year they
accepted Gary Monk's resignation and appointed Boyd Boehlje, who
resigned as the Legal Advisor, to become a Director in his place.
The Executive Committee then consisted of J. J. Underwood, President;
LaVon Linn, Vice President; and George Obear. Still later this
year the board appointed Robert A. Babcock, Kansas '56, as the
Legal Advisor to the Foundation.
Senator Henry M. Jackson Leadership College was held in Birmingham,
Alabama, on the 13th and 14th of October, 1984. Raymond Galbreth
served the Colonel LaVon P. Linn Chair as Dean. Gary Monk was
the administrator and the faculty was composed of Larry Audlehelm,
Richard N. McKaig, Ball State '66, Berardino J. DiBernardi, California
State ‘76, Leroy A. Mendenhall, Kansas '68, Keith R. Shriver,
Florida '79 and Michael L. Carroll, Auburn ‘71, with eleven
undergraduates in attendance. It was decided to continue to hold
the college in the Southeast for five consecutive years with the
hope that a second college could be started before that time passed.
The fifth session of the Leadership College was held February
25-26, 1989, in Birmingham, Alabama, with thirty-four undergraduates
and four faculty members in attendance. The College is different
in appearance and in substance from the regional meetings and
conventions of the fraternity. There is a de-emphasis on parties
and a concentration on self-discovery and building friendships.
A central activity of the program is the use of the DISC personal
inventory designed to provide the participant with a better understanding
of individual tendencies regarding leadership style, inter-personal
behavior, and feelings. Because the College invites chapter members
who are seeking leadership rolls in their respective organizations,
it is hoped the weekend program will provide them better ways
to work with the members of their chapter or colony. An attendance
fee of $15 supplemented with $5,444 from the Foundation provided
for the cost of the college. Enrollment has purposely been kept
small to assure a low ratio of faculty to student. As contributions
to the college fund continue to accumulate, expansion into other
geographic areas of the fraternity will become possible. The goal
is to develop faculty to staff four college sessions a year so
that each area of the Fraternity could attend a session every
Back in Chicago
in 1985, the Foundation elected Robert Babcock a Director and
to the Executive Committee as well as continuing his appointment
as the Legal Advisor. They replaced LaVon Linn, who had died in
May 1985, with Richard Kauders as Vice President and reelected
J. J. Underwood, President. Director Kenneth Snyder also died
in April of 1985. A clarification of the categories of endowed
vs. annual gifts was made. To be considered endowed a gift must
be $500 or more made since January 1, 1981 (unless otherwise specified).
All other gifts are considered annual (unless other-wise specified).
It was agreed that all unidentified gifts be credited to the General
Program of the Foundation. It was also agreed that the idea of
a combined annual fund drive with the Fraternity was beneficial
and charged the Executive Committee to negotiate a contractual
agreement with the Fraternity to accomplish it.
and appointments continued. In September 1986, the Foundation
met in Kansas City. Jack Caperton, Managing Director, reported
about the same results as the previous year with expenses greater
than identifiable gift income. This was considered the cost of
establishing contacts and the hope was that the expense and effort
would be beneficial in the future. The Secretary/Treasurer's report
showed that the June 30, 1981, ending equity in the general account
was $17,300 and the total accounts held $100,900. In 1983, the
numbers read $88,200 and $263,300 and in 1986 they were $93,500
and $418,000. It was hard to reconcile these numbers with the
report of the Managing Director and the report of a net loss of
$516 on the 85-86 mail solicitation. The net increase in funds
from our total fund raising projects for the year was a mere $4,800.
The endowed vs. annual determination amount was increased from
$500 to $1,500. The meetings on the combined fund raising continued.
All officers and appointments were continued.
Foundation meeting was held in New Orleans at the time of the
Fraternity Convention. Boyd Boehlje and L. Gene Tanner, Indiana
'55 were elected Directors. Boyd was then elected to be the Member
at Large on the Executive Committee with President Underwood and
Vice President Kauders. Bob Babcock was continued as Legal Advisor,
Marsh White as Educational Advisor and Ray Galbreth as Secy/Treas.
Jack Caperton was voted a commendation for his efforts as the
Managing Director and was continued as a half time position. David
Rudeen, Idaho '77, gave the board a proposal concerning the proposed
history of the Fraternity. He suggested the Foundation sponsor
the project and volunteered to be the managing editor. The board
reacted positively to the idea and asked him to present a formal
plan of action. The 1988 meeting was held August 27th at Des Moines,
Iowa. The Unified FundRaising contract was approved and the President
authorized to sign it as taking effect July 1, 1988. The financial
report showed the total assets of the Foundation had increased
$62,000 from last year. The year's donations were $68,300, up
by $18,000. The expenses were $40,600 that included $4,500 for
one Senator Henry M. Jackson College session, $15,000 for scholastic
recognition, $300 for office expenses, $2,600 for travel and meeting
costs and $18,000 for overhead and miscellaneous expenses.
and Joe Lacchia were reelected to five-year terms as Directors
of the Foundation. As of September 30, 1988 the General Account
of the Foundation, including both the annual and endowed funds,
amounted to $136,419. The grand total endowment of the Foundation
was $493,996.99. Thus, we exceeded the $400,000 goal set by Don
Isett before the Fraternity became 100 years old.
Our new goal
is one million dollars. In 1988 there are seventeen named accounts
functioning within the Foundation. The following is a brief description
of each account; it's purpose and the balance as of September
30, 1988. The Borelli Family Leadership Award Account was established
on May 17, 1982, as a memorial to Pamela A. Borelli, the daughter
of Raymond and Ann Borelli and sister to Mark Borelli, Illinois
'81. This award is to recognize undergraduate leaders who have
excelled in academics, chapter/colony leadership and major campus
activities such as political office, school band, athletic such
as captain of a varsity sports team, cheerleader for one full
year or All American designation and/or as editor of their campus
newspaper or yearbook. This award must be applied for and is limited
to 25 awards made in each academic year. As many as five applicants
may be recognized as "with distinction" and will receive
a specially designed recognition plaque and a cash award. The
account contained $22,939.
Account was established May 8, 1970 to recognize and promote scholarship
or other educational purposes for members of the Cornell Chapter.
It contained $3,870. The DePauw Account was established in September
1979 and is restricted to use for leadership, scholarship or other
educational benefits at the DePauw Chapter. It contained $11,498.
Account was established in September 1987 along with the following
three funds. It contained $5,192. The Illinois/Rose, Illinois/Pucin
and Illinois/Snyder accounts are all established for the benefit
of the members of the Illinois Chapter and are restricted to use
for leadership, educational or scholastic purposes. They contain
$6,240, $5.527, and $10,792, respectively. The Illinois/Thompson
Account was established in 1963 as a combined memorial fund for
the Dean and Woody. By 1968 it had become a Library/Scholarship
fund. As of June 30, 1987, $20,600 of the account is restricted
for investment in 8% bonds of the Upsilon Alumni Corporation,
the housing corporation of the Illinois Chapter. The remaining
account balance of $12,788 is restricted to' use for educational
purposes and scholarships to be distributed to the Illinois Chapter
or its members.
The Iowa Account
was established May 29, 1987, and is restricted to use of the
Iowa Chapter members for leadership, educational or scholastic
purposes. It contained $1,591.
T. Johnson/Purdue Account is the oldest fund of this type. In
effect it was started in 1958 when Victor started giving $100
a year to fund two $50 scholarships for members of the Purdue
Chapter. It is now restricted to scholarships or other educational
purposes for the Purdue Chapter members. It contained $5,628.
F. Lacchia/Michigan State Account was established on July 27,
1982, and is restricted for scholarships or educational purposes
for active members of the Michigan State Chapter. It contained
B. Layfield, Jr. /Auburn Account was established in August of
1988 as a memorial to Professor Layfield, Past "AA".
It contained $310.
Account was established on October 9, 1984, and is restricted
to use for leadership, educational or scholastic purposes for
the members of the Oklahoma Chapter. It contained $4,362.
Henry M. Jackson Leadership College Account was established in
May of 1983, and is restricted to funding various chapter officer
leadership workshops at various locations and times during the
academic year. It contained $78,686.
Missouri Leadership Account was formed September 1, 1981, and
is restricted to use for leadership development for members of
the Southeast Missouri Chapter. It contained $4,740.
Methodist University Account was formed June 30, 1987, by combining
the Benson/SMU fund, the Chandler/SMU fund and the Miller/SMU
fund. It is restricted to use for leadership, educational or scholastic
purposes for the SMU Chapter. It contained $14,937.
W. White/Penn State Account is by far the largest and is the second
oldest account of the foundation. It is restricted to use for
promotion of scholarship and grants awards to deserving members
elected under the scholarship plan of the Pennsylvania State University
Chapter. It contained $128,988. In the interest of making this
Foundation Section as complete as possible it is necessary to
also give the history of the Kimball Educational Foundation of
the Kansas Chapter, which has the same IRS designation, 501 (c)(3),
as the Delta Chi Educational Foundation. It was founded in 1965
through the efforts of Earl Knauss’55, Hans Peterson’54,
Rex Fowler’60, Warren Beck’48, Jerry Andre’62
and Ed Kangas’65. Its stated purpose is to provide financial
assistance to students at the University of Kansas, with a record
of academic excellence, civic and campus involvement, and a demonstrated
financial need, through the awarding of scholarships, loans and
other means of financial assistance. The Kansas Foundation limits
its solicitations to members and friends of the Kansas Chapter
of the Delta Chi Fraternity and has three donor clubs. The Century
Club members contribute $100 a year minimum. The Delta Club members
contribute from $50 a year and the Chi Club members contribute
from $25 a year. In 1987, a Chapter 11 fund was started to receive
contributions for the educational portion of the addition and
remodeling of the chapter house. It contained $149,000 on June
30, 1988 and is growing rapidly. The Kimball Foundation has five
Scholarship Funds totaling $36,700 and a General Fund containing
$13,300. At the May Alumni Meeting in 1988, scholarships and awards
totaling $4, 100 were presented to deserving students. At that
time the total assets of the foundation were $199,000 and the
officers were Richard C. Lucas Jr. '69, President; Edward A. Kangas
‘65, Vice-President and Thomas E. Ruggels ‘77, Secretary/Treasurer,
leading a nine member Board of Directors. The Kansas Foundation
was not organized to compete with the national foundation. Many
Kansas Chapter members contribute to both organizations and moreover,
Kansas Chapter alumni have provided half of the presidents, with
a total office time of 20 years, and half of the legal advisors
to the national foundation.
At the present
time, besides the individual chapter scholarship /awards programs
that are specially designed for their needs, The Delta Chi Educational
Foundation has the Borelli Family Leadership Awards and the Senator
Henry M. Jackson Leadership College as well as its general recognition
program, for Chapter Scholars and for Merit Scholars. These last
two categories provide for personally engraved certificates from
the Foundation to each student in each chapter in the Fraternity
who attains at least a 2.7 on a 4.0 scale cumulative G.P.A. and
makes application and a personally engraved certificate to each
chapter member who archives at least a 2.75 on a 4.0 scale with
at least a 25% improvement over his previous cumulative G.P.A.
is now embarking upon a new project. The Unified Annual Fundraising
Campaign is an under-taking with the Fraternity that will greatly
increase the yearly income to the Foundation. The challenge to
the Foundation is to be able to fund the programs of the Fraternity
that come within our requirements and to develop new possibilities
for programs and activities in the future. Members gifts to Delta
Chi now come through the Foundation, which makes it tax deductible.
This in turn, makes it possible for the Foundation to make grants
to the Fraternity to cover the costs of the many educational programs
and support it gives to the chapters. Members cannot target annual
gifts to a specific chapter, per IRS regulations, unless the chapter
has a named account. Otherwise, such gifts benefit a chapter through
the support it enables the Foundation to provide throughout the
entire Fraternity. We have investigated the legal opportunities
for large capital gifts to the Foundation from one or more brothers
combined and then have the Foundation grant this money for educational
purposes or loan this money back to a chapter in the form of a
in more information about this type of gift, contact the Foundation,
please. There exists the possibility for an individual student
grant or loan program through the specific funding of a chapter
account. This has not been utilized at this time but it is expected
to be in the near future. The Members of the Foundation are excited
about the possibilities to come in our next 100 years. They are
happy about the growth, in number, type and scope of the programs
of the Foundation. They are pleased with the success of the investment
strategies the Investment Advisory Committee has recommended.
They are proud and honored by the commitment brothers and their
families have made in their gifts, pledges and wills. They look
forward with anticipation to the opportunity to serve even better
the Brothers of Delta Chi.
was created to address the leadership development and scholastic
needs of Delta Chi. There are programs in place and endless possibilities
for future activities. The amount of support of the financial
growth of the Foundation is the single limiting factor to the
success in reaching the goal for which we all strive. That goal
is national excellence for the Delta Chi Fraternity through the
realization of the members potential. Hopefully it will not take
another thirty-five years to reach the one million dollar mark.
The members are now informed and should get involved and buy a
part of the program. The address of the Foundation is P.O. Box 2113, Iowa City, IA 52244-2113.